.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Books & Articles I wrote.

Monday, July 18, 2005

 

Release 2.0

Release 2.0 is for me a combination of two factors.

1. We are into Internet 2.0. For many years I said that we were previously in the research stage of the web and i believe this lasted even up to 1994. I think it relatively recent that the web is starting to make things simple, although there is the tendency to try and make things difficult again. The success of Google (which was a fairly obvious choice for being simple) and Flickr (more complex, yet simple) highlights this. In addition, I thing services are going to have to start VERY simple to get a reasaonable number of users on board before they start adding the additional services that tend to make things more complicated. Internet 1.0 started off simple, but by 1999 is was heading towards everything being complex and the user being less and less in control of what was going on. We can't afford to let this happen again in this second stage of the web.

2. I feel ready to release a version 2.0 of myself. I also started off fairly simple (some argue this hasn't changed), but things got gradaually more and more complicated over the year until the technology I was creating assumed far too much about my customers. As an example I created a service syndication system that assumed people wanted to buy professional services across the web. I still think they do, but they first need to get to a point where they have some very basic trust! I could go on, but hopefully my work over the next 6 months and beyond will start to highlight some of the problems I have encountered. I patched myself up too many times. This is the new release and it promises to do what the customer wants and not what the technology can do!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com